Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I NEVER IMAGINED HOW THIS BLOG WOULD IMPACT MY LIFE...

I started this blog simply for myself. It was a way to keep a journal of sorts - a chronicle at first, mainly of the guests we had for Shabbos. Later, it morphed into a way for me to express my feelings about family, friends and the community I hold so dear.

But as you will soon see, this little blog took on a life of its own and grew. It grew to have more impact on my life and on the lives of others than I ever imagined.

 It began with a few emails:
"Thank you so much. I haven't heard the Yekkishe niggunim of my youth in a long time. It takes me back and makes me happy." 
"Your table photos look lovely. Do you have space for two more this Friday night?"
I met so many new people and suddenly I was a member of TWO beautiful communities - the one in which I currently reside, and the great online Jewish community that spans the globe.  I met countless bloggers and followers, many who eventually arrived as guests at my Shabbos table.  I received emails that proved the "six degrees of separation" rule over and over again:
Commenter YDL recognized his sister's creative arches in a family wedding photo I posted.
Long time follower and commenter, Mrs. S. recognized my nephew in a photo I posted and came to realize that even though she thought she was reading a stranger's blog all this time, we are actually related by marriage!
And THEN one day came the message that would by far have the most impact on our family than any other arising out of this blog.  The aforementioned Mrs. S. - a woman who began reading my blog without  knowing me at all, who is living in Eretz Yisroel, who I likely would never have met if not for this blog - contacted me, and wondered if Joey might be interested in dating her cousin.

People have criticized me in the past for blogging so much about my family. In this instance, Mrs. S. felt that the blog gave her a good sense of who we were and what we stood for.

I now realize what a great debt I owe to this blog. Without this blog, Joey and Kayla might never have met.
Think about THAT all you blog naysayers ;)

Oh, and......



Kayla and Joey!!!



19 comments:

Mark said...

Beautiful and wonderful!

Mazal Tov.

Maya Resnikoff said...

How wonderful! Mazel tov.

YW said...

Mazel Tov!

Rivki Silver said...

Mazel Tov! That's fabulous! Yay!

Aunt Donna (Margie's sister) said...

Mazel tov!!!!

Debbie said...

Mazel Tov! What a wonderful and fun post to read today!

G6 said...

Can't wait to meet you!
Mazel Tov to you too ;)

Rafi G. said...

mazel tov! amazing story!

Mrs. S. said...

Mazal tov!!!
P.S. Don't forget that Facebook gets some of the credit too... ;-)

Mystery Woman said...

Mazel tov!

WAdsworth3 said...

Mazal tov! And further proof of the good that comes from the internet.

FBB said...

Mazal Tov!

My daughter called from Israel this morning (woke me up!) to tell me that Joey was engaged to her friend's sister!

I didn't even know she read your blog! She said "it was hard top explain how I knew of him." That's when I informed her that we are in fact...related.

Quilting Corner said...

What a wonderful story. Yes, blogging is amazing. I'm happy to be one of your followers.

Michael Westen said...

Mazel Tov!!

Laura said...

Mazel tov, what a wonderful story.

Sora Deetza said...

Mazal Tov!

ProfK said...

Mazal Tov! A truly wonderful story.

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov--May you merit many more simchas from your hachnasat orchim. Brad

itsagift said...

(Do late Mazel tov wishes still count? :) )

Mazel Tov-I love this post because it's one of those stories that sound so fake...but it's real!

May you have so much nachas from this new couple and may they continue to follow in the footsteps of their parents, emulating you and your always open house.

The ways of Hashem are truly amazing. Thank you for sharing this and enforcing the hashgacha that goes into the meeting of every couple. We know it, but in this case, we can all FEEL it.

(word verification: eelatedt-that's how I feel! So happy for you! :) )